The cemetery, originally called Springer, then Springer Macedonia or Macedonia, is located in northeast Waller County.

20151218_120056Exactly when it began to be used as a burial place is not known but oral history indicates it was used for the burial of slaves. Over the years, through various sales, the plot of land came to be owned by A.E. Springer and his wife Delia. The first trace of the burial place in a legal paper was found in a hand written instrument in which the property was sold by the Springers to C. Laverkuhn on April 23, 1892. A quote from this instrument states, “It is understood that two acres of land, including the grave yard inside of the aforementioned boundaries is excepted and not embraced in this conveyance.” The instrument was signed by Delia Springer, wife of A.E. Springer.

In the 1950s, the Springer Macedonia Cemetery Association was formed locally to provide for the care and upkeep of the cemetery.

In 1954 the burial area was enlarged by a gift of a little over an acre of land from Dr. Gilbert Fletcher and his wife, Dr. Mary Fletcher, who owned property adjoining the cemetery plot.

In 1975 the Doctors Fletcher also gave 0.368 acres on the north side of the cemetery to be used as a parking lot.

In 1977, the cemetery association was incorporated as a non-profit organization in the name of Macedonia Cemetery Association. In order to give a clear title to the land, the Doctors Fletcher, owners of the land surrounding the cemetery, deeded, for one dollar, the original rectangular burial area, 222 by 240 feet, as first referred to in the Springer deed as, “two acres for the grave yard,” to the cemetery association.

Also in 1977, the Waller County Historical Commission published a directory of cemeteries in Waller County. According the information contained in the directory, Mr. A. E. Springer donated the burial plot about 1860. He was buried there in 1882, however the first interment of record was that of Oliver McPherson, Springer’s infant grandson, in 1871. When the directory was published a total of 310 graves were counted, this count included visible, unmarked graves.

Now the cemetery contains over 500 known graves. Though a recent ground penetrating radar project dispelled the myth of the unmarked slave graves it did reveal several unmarked and previously unknown burials at the site.

The Macedonia Cemetery Association still operates the cemetery.